FROM PLACE TO PLACE (2021)
75' sound installation
commissioned by the City of Berkeley
Young people throughout the Bay Area, from kindergarteners to high schoolers, were invited to contribute a sound inspired by the place where they live -- a sound from that place they found beautiful, or a sound they might want to add to that place in order to bring it more beauty. Their recordings were assembled to create an 8-channel sound installation for the Downtown Berkeley BART plaza, as well as this album.
Special Thanks to the Participating Youth Ensembles and their Directors:
- Piedmont East Bay Children's Choir – Ensemble (dir. Eric Tuan)
and Concert Choir (dir. Andrew Brown)
- Maybeck High School – Audio Production Class (dir. Mario Godoy)
- San Francisco School of the Arts – Orchestra and Guitar Classes
(dir. Tristan Arnold)
- San Francisco Girls Chorus – Training Chorus (dir. Natascha Bach)
- Zion Lutheran School of San Francisco – Handbell Chorus (dir. Kyle Hovatter).
Download includes a binaural mix (headphones required) of the live installation, made by Brendan Michael West.
Cover art "East Marin Island No. 2" by Jon Fischer.